Tuesday 19 July 2011

Italian bread bake - true comfort food

Sick in bed is not fun...I CRAVE hot chips when I'm sick with a cold.
The warm, salty little bit crunchy little bit moist and stodgy...MMmmm...
But the only problem is getting them too your bedside! www.menulog.com.au where I normally get home deliveries from tells me that most of the restaurants are shut at this time of the day.

Enter Thermomix.

Early in mine and Thermies love affair I discovered that it does a great tomato chili sauce (from the Chili muscles recipe) and I've since used on many-a dish.

1, 2, 3 or 4 tins of peeled tomatoes into Thermie (I used 3 for this dish) Speed 5 for 5seconds
a sprinkle of salt, dried chilli flakes and a sploosh of olive oil and set it to cook 20mins/Varoma temp/Soft speed

I wanted to incorporate some garlic as it's good for my cold, so I lightly fried 3 sliced garlic cloves (I would have happily used 10 but hubby wouldn't have been into it) in a little bit of oil just to take the strong raw garlicy-ness out. let it cool a little and added a dollop of butter and mixed it in...

I had this bread stick which wasn't used last weekend and has since gone ROCK hard. So I sliced it thickly and spooned on my garlic mixture (only on my pieces).

Once Thermie had done his thing (the tomato sauce was nice and thick), I pored about a third of the mixture on the bottom of a baking dish, added my bread, then the rest of the cooked tomato on top.
Topped it of with a generous sprinkle of Parmesan.

Into the oven until it was browned and bubbling.
All it needed then was a drizzle of Olive oil and some fresh basil to top it off.



But I was inspired by hubby's Nonna the way I've seen her many times add boiled eggs to a dish to add nutrition to it without adding the price of meat. (ok I wanted it quick too with just the ingredients i had on hand) so while it was in the oven I boiled some eggs in Thermie 14min/Varoma/speed 1



And lunch was served!


Do you have any fabulous money saving tips?




1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry to hear that you aren't feeling well! :( And I wish places delivered during the day too! I think we could all use some warming nourishment today :)

    ReplyDelete